When you’re touring assisted living facilities in Scottsdale, working hard to find the perfect fit, it can be easy to get swept up in the aesthetic features and lavish amenities some of them may boast. However, it is important to note that the appearance of an assisted living facility does not always reflect the quality of care provided. Work with a senior placement organization in Scottsdale, Arizona, like Integrity Senior Placement, to ensure that your beautiful assisted living facility choice will also meet your physical and emotional needs.
Choosing a facility because of its appearance rather than the care it offers is referred to as the chandelier effect. In an effort to receive more patients, and therefore more money, some facilities started incorporating fancier amenities, but the care of these facilities do not always reflect its facade. This is because Medicare does not always cover long-term end of life care like that offered by many assisted living facilities. However, Medicare often covers short-term stays in facilities after hospitalization. Medicare will also pay facilities for these patients more than Medicaid would.
While beautiful lobbies and amazing recreational facilities are amazing features to have in a facility, it does not always mean the care will be 5-star care as well. These facilities may not be equipped to address the medical needs of all patients, especially those who need more intensive care. They also may not hire enough nurses, doctors, or aids to take care of residents. They may also spend more money on appearances rather than hiring highly trained staff, providing good food, and general health care.
That’s not to say all beautiful assisted living facilities are inadequate or provide poor quality care. There are still plenty of facilities with both, but it is important to remain cautious and look past the chandelier when looking for a place for your loved one.
Here are some tips to make sure you and your family do not fall prey to the chandelier effect:
- Talk to residents and their families about the quality of care they receive at the facility.
- Talk to the director of nursing or the administrator about the facility. Ask about their employee turnover rate, as this is a good indicator of the quality of the facility.
- Visit the facility on weekends and nights. See how many nurses are scheduled outside of regular business hours.
- Eat a meal at the facility to see how meals are handled and see for yourself if the food is high quality and nutritious.
- Speak to the local ombudsman about the care at the facility. Find out about complaints about the facility.
- Look at the Medicare compare website to find out about previous problems the assisted living facility has had.
Making sure your loved one is placed in a Scottsdale assisted living facility that is both beautiful and provides a high quality of care if very important. While the chandelier effect can be tricky to navigate, there are tons of resources and methods you can use to ensure you choose the best facility for you and your loved one. By working with senior placement organizations in Scottsdale, Arizona, like Integrity Senior Placement, you can find an assisted living facility that meets all your needs and desires.